Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Beginning of My Journey

I'm still alive!! I'm sorry it's taken me SO long to post.



Last weekend I had the opportunity to speak at the Oregon Cattlemen's Association annual conference. The topic of my talk was "Grass Based Health - Food for Thought." I'm very encouraged by how it was received. Their feedback was positive and helpful, and their suggestions for future talks and projects have given me lots of ideas. Now comes the follow up!!

I took that material, removed the references to the Oregon Cattlemen and the beef industry in particular, and created an slide-and-audio video. It runs a little more than 16 minutes. I've posted it to Vimeo and YouTube:
Vimeo and to YouTube (Part 1, Part 2).

I welcome your comments.



Some of us may find ourselves, at some point in our lives, at a place where we realize that a change is needed (there are the unlucky ones who'll never realize or admit that a change is, in fact, needed). Here is my “moment of clarity,” Christmas of 2007. When I looked at myself I realized that I really had to do something. At my heaviest I was over 220 lbs (you get to the point where you stop weighing yourself, right?). At 5' 10 1/2" this meant that I was obese, according to the Body Mass Index. Several friends had been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and I learned that I had several risk factors for that condition as well. Over the years I'd tried various methods of losing weight, but without significant or lasting success. "Not much and not for long" well describes my experience. Sound familiar?

By this time my wife Nancy had already been on her own journey of research and dietary change for more than 2 years. She was smart enough to know that talking to me before I was ready to listen probably wouldn’t accomplish much. So when I was ready to listen, I had my own in-house expert. She directed me to the books and other sources of information she’d found helpful.

The first two books were Stop Prediabetes Now: The Ultimate Plan to Lose Weight and Prevent Diabetes by Jack Challem and Ron Hunninghake and The Protein Power Lifeplan by Micahael R. Eades, M.D. and Mary Dan Eades, M.D. Both books follow a similar plan of carbohydrate restriction. I started with Challem and Hunninghake's book but I've followed the Eades' plan for the most part. By following this information, I’ve lost more than 45 pounds and maintained that weight loss by adopting a way of eating that emphasizes animal fats and animal proteins while reducing carbohydrates.


Much of what I’ve been learning these past three years actually amounts to a review of material from my nutrition, physiology and biochemistry classes at the University of Kentucky in the early 80’s. As I’ve studied, I’ve come to realize that I had been the victim of a massive disinformation campaign that was waged upon the American people to convince us that a low-fat, reduced cholesterol, high carbohydrate diet is the healthy diet.

I'm grateful for the authors, physicians, and researchers who have fought against the tide of "conventional wisdom" to provide us with the truth. I'm supremely grateful to Nancy for her patience and support. I am humbled by the opportunity to help others find and apply this information in their own lives.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pete,

    Thanks so much for putting this together. My parents aren't farmers, but the video beautifully explains the gap between conventional wisdom and the actual science.

    I really think this could help convince my parents to change their diets before the "diseases of civilization" affecting them spread further.

    I hope we see more of your writing soon.

    Thank you kindly,

    Tommy O'Dell
    St.John's, Newfoundland
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tommy - You're most welcome. Thanks for reading! I hope your parents will find the information they need to make the appropriate changes. They aren't unique! Let me know if you have any questions or you’re interested in a specific topic. Thanks for your encouragement.

    As an aside: I’d like to count myself among the few USofA-ers who knows the difference between Saint John and St. John's. I know several folks throughout the Maritimes. I was fortunate to visit Newfoundland back in the early 70s. We traveled by coastal steamer to a small, fishing village where I got to eat moose, bear, periwinkles we picked off the rocks, & etc. I remember jigging for cod … A way of life, as I understand it, that doesn’t exist anymore. Sad.

    ReplyDelete